Sunday, July 1, 2012

Goal Setting and Visualization Olympic Style


The Olympics are drawing closer and we will soon be treated to a feast of athletic prowess.  One of the questions some people always wonder is how a person could get to such a high level of performance and strength?  While much is made of the physical strength and training surrounding these athletes, there is something to be said for their mental strength as well.
Mental Strength can be learned.  It is something we are all born with an innate ability to marshal when we need it, and with a little practice, visualization can help you to reach your goals, both for fitness and for life.
Self talk can be the most powerful weapon we have for our lives.  It can be used for both positive and negative purposes.  How many times have you set yourself up for failure simply by doubting your own good ability to actually complete what you set out to do?  While some of this positive self talk can seem narcissistic, it is an essential part of athletic training for most high caliber athletes.
I know that before any major karate tournament that I’ve ever done, I spend a good part of my preparation and warm up time doing mental warm ups.  I’m the one you’ll see off by myself, with the headphones on listening to music, lost in my own little world.  I don’t talk to anyone-in fact I don’t actually see anyone around me.  I am quite simply doing my Kata or fighting my fight in my head.  You might see me walk around in a circle or even see me talking to myself.  This is all part of the preparation for what is to come.  Seeing possibilities and developing counter strategies if I’m fighting; going over every part of my routine if I am competing in Kata.
Seen on the street or in a subway, this type of behavior would earn me a trip to the nearest mental health facility.  Prior to competition, however, it is essential for success.
This works with everyday life to a lesser extent as well.  Play out the mental script of what you want to happen in your head prior to performance is crucial for any endeavor-be it a presentation at work or a request for a raise.  If you are looking to start exercising more and getting into shape or eating right, visualize yourself doing it and you will find that it becomes almost second nature to follow through and do it.
Start your day planning it out in your head while you’re in the shower.  You don’t need to stare at yourself in a mirror or burn a candle or meditate unless you want.  Simply repeat in your head what you want to accomplish.  Visualise doing it over and over.  As you move through your day, take time to assess where you are with your plan-is it working?  If not, adjust what you need to and keep moving forward.
See it and you can be it-it really is that simple.  And it gets easier the more you do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment